Thursday 18 July 2013

Documentation and similar non-code

This morning I went on documenting, this time how to extend flintxx. I felt that the easiest way to get the basics across (to someone who already knows how to use filntxx, which admittedly the small amount of documentation I wrote yesterday is probably not going to achieve) would be by a heavily-commented toy example. So I wrote an example file fooxx.cpp, which is an amalgamation of a fake C interface, part of a C++ wrapper for it, and an example program. Then I added some explaining remarks and a general overview to the appendix of flint-manual.tex. This effort is far from complete, but it should give anyone who is eager to try out flintxx an idea how to proceed.

Then I gave some further thought to static_assert. I didn't really reach any conclusions, but I decided that at the very least we need a method to run the compiler against a set of test cases (which are known to fail) and record the output. I wrote a small (probably not terribly representative) set of test cases, and a script to do the execution. Here are the results for g++-4.7 and clang++-3.4. I'll not comment on them for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment